Monday, November 23, 2015

Low-B6 Recipes: Green Beans and Carrots in Orange Sauce

Green Beans and Carrots in Orange Sauce
All the ingredients of this dish are very low in B6.
  • 3 cups carrots, sliced and peeled
  • 3 cups green beans, cleaned and trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • a pinch of salt
1. Steam carrots alone for 5 minutes.
2. Add the green beans and steam for another 5-8 minutes, or until the carrots and beans are tender.
3. While the green beans and carrots are steaming, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, salt, and maple syrup in a bowl.
4. Add the cooked carrots and beans to the bowl with the sauce. Toss to coat, and serve.
Green Beans and Carrots in Orange Sauce

4 comments:

  1. Hi thomas, do you add rice to all of these dishes? is it a particular type of white rice or regular store bought par boiled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i may add to that question, do you stick to a certain amount of rice per meal, like 50 grams cooked, or 100 grams? I see even white rice does have a decent amount of b6 and is often enriched. Sorry for all the questions Thomas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross! I have eaten a lot of white rice during my recovery, as it was and still is one of my go-to foods. I often add it to other dishes (like this one). I buy big bags of Basmati rice, which to my knowledge is not enriched with B6, and cook it in 1 cup (dry) batches. Each batch lasts for 3-4 meals (so I guess I'm eating about 1/4-1/3 cup of dry rice at a time).

      From what I understand, enriched rice is sprayed with nutrients, so rinsing the rice can remove at least some of the added vitamins. Rinsing your rice is generally a good idea.

      By the way, two of my favorite rice dishes are (1) Spanish rice and (2) steamed rice with tofu and stir-fried vegetables (celery, water chestnuts, Chinese cabbage, carrot).

      Hope that helps!

      Delete