Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 10-13

Not much has changed in the past few days. My symptoms are about where they were on Monday. I am noticing, however, that even when I'm feeling "good," things can quickly turn sour if I do the wrong things. For example, when I do a lot of manual work, my arms tend to ache or cramp (it's that hard-to-describe carpal tunnel feeling I've mentioned before). In fact, my arms get worn out pretty quickly. 40 minutes of typing feels like 3 hours. I even get worn out holding a book open at night. That's a little worrying to me.

My legs, meanwhile, have felt pretty good for several days now. I think they may have healed quicker because I do a lot of leg exercises and stretches. As a jogger, most of my workout routine is lower-body. This has been a bit of a problem, however, because while my legs are doing well, my arms, as I said, are not. I'm not sure what to do about that, as I can't lift weights every day. I guess I need to find some low-impact arm exercises. Unfortunately, nothing hits the spot the way jogging does.

Meanwhile, I ate more B6 foods today and am again feeling the effects. This time the symptoms aren't as bad (because I didn't eat as much), but it's still disappointing. You might wonder why I would eat food with B6 in it, and there are two reasons. First, eating low-B6 foods every meal has meant missing out on a lot of other vital nutrients, and I don't want to get deficient in other vitamins. Second, I like to test myself every few days to make sure I haven't gone straight from B6 toxicity to B6 deficiency, which has the same symptoms. But given how long it typically takes B6 toxicity to clear up, I think I'll wait a while before trying B6 foods again.

4 comments:

  1. I just learned about my B6 levels less than two weeks ago. While I didn't taper off the P5P, and just stopped completely, I also haven't gone low B6 food - wise.

    I don't know if the severe weakness I experienced Spring 2014 was due to MS or B6 toxicity! I have gradually improved, but certainly not 100%! NY dominant hand / fingers / arm were affected and still remains. My legs are on the weak sode, too, but not as bad. More later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I sent the previous comment too soon; plus one cannot edit phone typos here...

    I just learned about my B6 levels less than two weeks ago. While I didn't taper off the P5P or B-complex---I just stopped completely and haven't gone low B6 food - wise.

    I don't know if the severe weakness I experienced Spring 2014 was due to MS or B6 toxicity! I have gradually improved since then after two rounds of ACTH, IVIG infusion, plus time, but certainly not 100%. My dominant hand/fingers/arm were affected and still remains. My legs are on the weak side, too, but not as bad---at times.

    I was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago. I started supplementing in year 2000 (15 years ago) that includes B-complex and started using P5P four years ago. Stopped using P5P and B complex on Sunday, 11/8/15, (after I saw my lab results online the night before).

    Besides the weakness previously mentioned, my feet have been numb for four years now, and still temains.

    I've seen five doctors, three neurologists, and one rheumatologist and none of these medical professionals tested my B6 levels, until I asked my doctor. Oh, and I'm above lab range for not only B6, but also B1, B2, & Folate. Lovely. (Not!) So much for water soluble!!

    I suspected B6 toxicity for awhile, but it was confusing since some of the B6 deficiency symptoms are similar to B6 toxicity symptoms!

    Best wishes, Thomas.
    SunnySky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SunnySky! I've read a lot of stories like yours. It seems many doctors aren't aware of B6 toxicity, and most people suffering from it had to do their own research to get a diagnosis or a blood test. Since the medical community is so far behind on this issue, B6 toxicity is a discovery process for all of us. That's why I'm sharing my story on this blog, and why I like to hear from other people with B6 toxicity. Hopefully the knowledge will help someone else down the line.

      If you're on Facebook, there's a group for people suffering from B6 toxicity:

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/646501652136321/

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I'm already there! Looks like another person found the group from your post. :) Sorry for all of us with this, though. At least we know now. So many don't even realize this is a possibility.

      SunnySky

      Delete