Wednesday, October 28, 2015

B6 Toxicity: What Helps

It's surprising how hard it is to find information on B6 toxicity and what to do about it. The medical consensus seems to be to stop taking B6 supplements and hope you recover. In other words, you're up a creek without a paddle. Fun, huh?

In my search, however, I have found a few good sites and recommendations. (First and foremost is to stop taking B6!) Here is a list of things that have worked for me:

(1) Drinking water. B6 is water-soluble, which means you can flush it out of your system. According to this article from LiveStrong: "Typically, it takes the body between 15 and 25 days to eliminate unused pyridoxine [i.e. B6]. Drink eight, 8-oz. glasses of water per day as part of a healthy diet." I plan to keep this up until I'm fully recovered.

(2) Exercising. Unlike some sufferers of B6 toxicity, I can manage moderate exercise. My symptoms are not so bad (yet?) that I'm completely bedridden. I've found that staying active helps with my neuropathy (and mood, and sleep, etc.). In general, exercise is very important for overall health, not just B6 toxicity, and because of this, I try to stay active throughout the day.

I've also found that one burst of exercise doesn't do the trick, even if it's the "recommended" 30 minutes a day. While I do try to do a 30-minute workout every day (right now I'm trying to do two), I also try to keep the blood moving throughout the day. Personally, I prefer walking, but I've also done trampoline and light weightlifting.

Oh, and another reason exercise is good is because (I've heard) that B6 is stored in the muscles, and working up a good sweat is one way of excreting it. If I find a reliable source for this, I'll link it.

(3) Getting good sleep. This was very difficult (i.e. impossible) on the first night due to severe anxiety (probably a combination of natural anxiety and B6 toxicity). I felt much better after the second night, when I was able to get a good night's sleep. There's no real trick to this, I've found; either you're anxious, or you're not.

(4) Avoiding foods high in B6. This is one of the recommendations from the same LiveStrong article mentioned above. I'm not sure this has helped me too much yet, but other people have reported that avoiding foods high in B6 has worked for them. (Presumably, eating B6 triggers toxicity symptoms).  You can find lists of foods that are high and low in B6 online. Some of it is conflicting, so I won't post any recommendations here until I get it all figured out for myself.

That's it for now. I will post new tips as I come across them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas

    I see your blog is with an Australian website - I also suffer from pyridoxine toxicity and found a 'local' food composition list which is very comprehensive and easy to use so maybe it is of use for those of us who live 'down under'. The link is:
    http://www.foodcomposition.co.nz/concise-tables

    I agree that Vit B6 content of various foods' information from the internet can be conflicting at times, so I stick to this one above-mentioned source only. Unless it does not have a particular ingredient listed of course, such as anchovies for example!

    I really want to thank you for taking the trouble with creating your blog - it has helped me a lot, especially as there is so little information available on this toxicity.

    I hope you will continue to get better all the time

    Regards

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete