Friday, October 30, 2015

Day 5 & 6: First Signs of Recovery?

Six days after developing symptoms, I think I am noticing the first signs of recovery. For one thing, the neuropathy episodes seem less severe and less frequent. I am also experiencing fewer cramp-like sensations, which had been almost constant during the first few days (the exact sensation is hard to describe. In the arms, it almost feels like carpal tunnel or overworked muscles after a vigorous workout).

One facet of B6 toxicity that is especially alarming is muscle weakness. For the first few days, I was experiencing this symptom every day, usually in one limb at a time. It often occurred alongside aches and the cramp-like sensation and would sometimes last for hours, causing me to wonder if the affected limb(s) would ever recover. Thankfully, these episodes always seemed to pass without any (apparent) permanent damage. I'm also glad to say that these episodes seem to be ending, as I haven't experienced one in over a day.

If I really am starting to recover this soon, then I would consider myself lucky. In many of the stories that I've been reading, people have suffered with B6 toxicity for months or, in some cases, years. Their symptoms are also much worse than mine. Perhaps the only difference between their stories and mine is that I stopped taking B6 at the first sign of symptoms. If I hadn't known that B6 was the cause of my symptoms, I might be in a much worse state right now.

I'm also doing everything I can to recover. I am drinking at least eight 8-oz. glasses of water a day (to flush the B6 from my system), I am staying active (I walked over 2 miles yesterday), and I am eating healthy meals (although I am not avoiding B6 entirely -- unfortunately, most "healthy" foods have B6 in them). In between workouts, I try to do stretches or other low-impact exercises to keep the blood flowing. This is the best remedy for neuropathy that I've found so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment