Sunday, January 31, 2016

Day 76-99: Everyone's symptoms are different

My symptoms haven't changed much over the past few weeks. I think my previous theory was correct and my ulnar (elbow) nerves are "permanently" damaged. (I put "permanently" in scare-quotes because there's no telling what the future will bring. Maybe with enough healthy living, my body will eventually repair itself. But for the time being, the effects are unremitting.)

One thing I've discovered in researching B6 toxicity is that everyone's symptoms are a little different. Some people experience a lot of fatigue and brain-fog, while others experience a lot of neuropathy (which is probably the most typical symptom). But most people who experience neuropathy experience it in their hands and feet, whereas I experience it in my knees and elbows

Symptoms aren't the only thing to vary, either; remedies do as well. Some people feel better after exercise, while others report feeling worse (possibly because the B6 is being released from the muscles and into the blood stream).

All this just adds up to further difficulties for B6 toxicity sufferers. For the most part, we have to find what works for us.

5 comments:

  1. Hi...I never took a vitamin except when pregnant. I was put on b vitamins several yrs ago and I am paying the price. So many doctors knew I was taking b vitamins. No one did anything. I was on a b50. Now my feet probably have small fiber neuropathy...I just had the biopsies so I don't know yet. Burning all over my body. I'm just sick. I have Meniere's disease so I just didn't know.

    I can't live in the past. I can only hope. About 3 weeks off b vitamins now. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think you will ever be close to normal again? Are you on pain meds? I'm on Lyrica. M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M! Yes, I think I will be back to normal again, or very close to it. Of course, nothing is certain, but it's looking more likely than not.

      As for pain medicine, my symptoms were never bad enough to warrant taking them. But my thinking is that the worse your symptoms are, the longer your recovery will be. Most people who fully recover seem to do so after 1-2 years. So you can't really spend too much time worrying about it. My advice is to focus on short-term recovery and planning. Find a routine and diet that works for you, and stick to it. Plan meals and exercise sessions, measure out the amount of water you should be drinking every day, etc. In general, do whatever you can to improve the speed of recovery.

      Hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. I have just discovered that I have B6 Toxicity after 7 months of severe gastro issues and painful neuropathy. I was taking b supplements for years and didn't realize it was unsafe. I am at Day 10 and feeling really bad. Did any of your symptoms include gastrointestinal burning and nausea ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may have overdosed on b6 when I took magnesium supplement with b6 for a while. I have a rash that won't go away. Skin feels like pinpricks all over me. I haven't gone to doctor about it yet. What can they do?

    ReplyDelete